Many individuals with Smith-Magenis Syndrome (SMS) have a variety of unique needs. Because SMS often causes mental and behavioral issues (including intellectual disabilities, aggression, self-harming, and uncontrolled emotional meltdowns) as well as physical issues (including congenital heart defects, dental abnormalities, and obesity), families of individuals with SMS may rely on a variety of doctors and specialists to provide the appropriate level of care. But they may also be in search of an SMS bed.
Smith-Magenis Syndrome beds are important because SMS affects sleep in a variety of ways, often by disrupting melatonin production and the individual’s natural circadian rhythm. Due to these factors, individuals with SMS may experience:
- Disrupted sleep patterns
- Trouble falling asleep
- Frequent waking at night
- Daytime sleepiness
Because these individuals often require a higher level of care from family members and caretakers, sleep disruptions for these children often mean sleep disruptions for the parents and potentially even the entire family.
This could potentially negatively impact everyone in the household. If parents aren’t properly rested, they may struggle to deliver the level of care these happy and loving children deserve!
With the right bed, however, individuals with SMS can fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer, leading to happier, healthier lives for them and their families. In the video below, one parent of a child with The Safety Sleeper® even says her daughter doesn’t have any sleep issues!
Ideal Features In An SMS Bed
About 75% of individuals with SMS experience some sort of sleep issue like those we listed above. With these symptoms in mind, the ideal SMS bed should help to address these issues by:
- Encouraging sleep
- Supporting sustained sleep
- Preventing injuries from self-harming behaviors
In addition, the ideal SMS bed should also allow for medical intervention. Individuals with SMS can suffer from a variety of debilitating medical symptoms, including:
- Congenital heart defects
- Flattened nose bridge
- Dental abnormalities
- Low muscle tone
With these symptoms in mind, an individual with SMS may have trouble breathing or getting in and out of bed. The right SMS bed will allow access for medical tubing and possibly even accommodate a medical lift!
The Safety Sleeper® Is An SMS Bed
The Safety Sleeper® is a fully enclosed safety bed designed for premium physical and emotional comfort. Our cushioned and padded design helps children calm down during tantrums and explosive outbursts, which can be common among children with SMS.
In addition, the dense foam padding protects children from self-injurious behaviors while also encouraging and supporting deep, relaxing sleep. Learn more—and listen to parent testimonials—in this video:
For individuals with SMS, some of the most important features in The Safety Sleeper® include:
- A fully enclosed design – The walls and ceiling of The Safety Sleeper® create a warm, safe place for an individual to unwind at the end of the way. The interior of The Safety Sleeper® becomes a place of refuge and relaxation, even during family trips or emotional outbursts.
- A fully zipped door – When The Safety Sleeper® is completely closed, it can help encourage the user to stay inside. This is especially important among individuals who struggle to stay asleep. Instead of slipping out of bed and running around their room or even the house, they’re more likely to stay under the covers and try to fall asleep again!
- A darker environment – Although light and air enter into The Safety Sleeper® through the breathable mesh, its overall material and construction can contribute to a darker sleeping environment. This may even help boost melatonin production at the end of the day and encourage sleep at a normal bedtime!
- A padded space – While The Safety Sleeper® does include a soft, memory foam mattress, it also features padding around its support beams. This is especially important for individuals with a tendency to self-harm or experience emotional outbursts. If a child hits their head, arm, or leg against one of the walls, their much less likely to experience an injury.
- Easy medical access – For Smith-Magenis Syndrome patients who have special medical requirements, The Safety Sleeper® provides multiple access points for medical tubing, which can help your loved one remain comfortable all night long. In addition, certain models of The Safety Model are designed to accommodate medical lifts, which can assist in getting your child in and out of bed.
- It’s travel-friendly – The Safety Sleeper® quickly folds away into its own suitcase for family travel. This allows families and individuals with Smith-Magenis Syndrome to visit relatives or go on vacation without dealing with unfamiliar hotel beds or guest rooms. The Safety Sleeper® is easy to set up and is quickly ready for your child to climb in and fall asleep.
With all of these features combined, The Safety Sleeper® is a great choice for children with SMS.
Purchasing The Safety Sleeper®
We take every step necessary to make The Safety Sleeper® as affordable as possible for our families.
We have a fully detailed step-by-step guide you can follow to receive insurance coverage for your special needs bed.
We also allow monthly payments through Affirm, and we’ve partnered with Tadpole Adaptive to help families raise funds through The Mobility Funder!